Thursday, August 9, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

It's official. After a few years of on-again off-again, I have broken up with my favorite author. In the beginning of our relationship, Jonathan was so edgy but still clever and entertaining; lately the edgy has developed into something more like uneasy gratuity and I just can't find it in me to care one way or another what happens to his characters. He's begun to make me uncomfortable, and I have to say goodbye. I'll miss you, Jonathan Lethem. It was good while it lasted.

5 comments:

e. schenck said...

This is why I don't read much any more. I can't bear the disappointment -- and Jonathan Lethem? Really?

Scott, Kate, and Erin said...

Yes, Jonathan Lethem. Remember how wonderful he used to be? "You Don't Love Me Yet" was just one skeezy barfathon. And that, my friends, is a literary term. For my edgy decent-recent-fiction, I'm really flirting with Chuck Palahniuk. At least from him you learn something useful. Like how to clean blood out of carpet. Or how to score steroids from a veterinarian with only a sick stray cat and a lot of free time.

e. schenck said...

Neil Gaiman?
I finally got around to reading American Gods ... Two days of pure, disembodied bliss.

Anonymous said...

Ah....I would LOVE to see some pictures of youse guys. You have left your admiring public stranded!

Erin said...

Wa Wua